Makes 8 cups
½ pound white beans
1 tablespoon good quality olive oil
1½ cups chopped onions
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
4 cups chicken stock, nonfat, low-sodium
1 pound chicken breast meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
½ cup prepared salsa verde (from a jar)
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
¾ teaspoon coriander
½–¾ teaspoons kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1½ jalapeño peppers, cored, seeded and minced (optional)
1 cup cut white or yellow corn (thawed if frozen)
8 lime wedges
Calories 390 (13% from fat) • carb. 45g • pro. 40g • fat 5g • sat. fat 1g • chol. 65mg • sod. 570 mg • calc. 145mg • fiber 15g
1. Pick over beans and discard any stones or bits of dirt. Soak beans overnight (8 hours) in water to cover by 3 inches. Drain and rinse.
2. Lightly coat the interior of the ceramic pot of the Cuisinart® Slow Cooker with cooking spray. Heat oil in a Cuisinart® 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are soft, about 5 minutes; transfer to pot.
3. Place stock, beans and chicken in slow cooker. Add salsa, cumin, oregano, coriander, salt, pepper and jalapeños. Cover and press the on/off button to turn the unit on.
4. Set time to 3 hours and press High, once slow cooker switches to Warm, set timer for 4 hours and press Simmer. Slow cooker will automatically switch to Warm when cooking time has elapsed.
5. One half hour before serving, turn heat to High; stir in corn. Serve with wedge of lime.
*Hint: Sliced or diced avocado makes a good garnish for White Chicken Chili.