2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves, chopped*
2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, washed well and sliced*
2 large bunches asparagus (about 2 to 2½ pounds), rough ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces (tips removed and reserved)* – optional (see note in step 3)
1 large red potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and sliced, held in water to prevent oxidation*
4 tablespoons dry white wine or cognac
1 to 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, to taste
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 cups vegetable broth (the more clear the broth, the greener the soup will be)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
crème fraîche for garnish
chopped chives for garnish
Nutritional information per serving (based on 6 servings):
Calories 97 (26% from fat) • carb. 13g • pro. 5g • fat 35g • sat. fat 2g
• chol. 8mg • sod. 650mg • calc. 45mg • fiber 3g
1. Put the butter in a medium saucepan and set over medium heat. Add the garlic and leeks; stir until you hear a slight sizzle and then cover pan to sweat the leeks for about 5 to 10 minutes, until they are very soft.
2. Add the asparagus and potato to the pan. Stir to coat all vegetables and sauté until soft. Pour in white wine or cognac and stir until completely reduced. Add salt and pepper and stir in the vegetable broth. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer until all vegetables are very tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
3. While soup is simmering, steam the asparagus tips separately, about 5 to 8 minutes until crisp tender. Shock tips in ice water to maintain a bright green color. Once cool, slice tips thinly lengthwise to be used for garnish. (Note: This step is optional, but makes for a great presentation.)
4. Once soup vegetables are tender, use the blending shaft and blend soup until puréed. If using a larger saucepan, tilt the pan to the side away from you to ensure that the protective guard of the blending shaft is fully submerged to prevent splatter.
5. Stir in lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
6. Serve immediately garnishing with a dollop of crème fraîche, some chopped chives and asparagus tips.
* All chopping and slicing can be easily and quickly done in the food processor attachment's work bowl.