My mom, whom I lost to breast cancer 7 years ago, was a wonderful Irish cook. My favorites were her soups. She taught me how to cook
2 Pkgs Frozen Asparagus Spears (12 oz./pkg)
2 Leeks (or 1 pkg Frozen Chopped Leeks)
1 T Unsalted Butter
3-½ C Chicken Broth
½ C Frozen Peas
2 T Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 t Salt
½ t Fresh Ground Black Pepper
¼ C Half & Half (or no-fat Half & Half)
½ t Fresh Lemon Juice
Slivered Almonds (garnish)
Low Calorie, Healthy Soup
1. Cut asparagus tips off & boil for 2 minutes in ½ C water; set aside.
2. Cut rest of spears into ½ inch pieces.
3. Cut leeks lengthwise and clean under running water well; chop into fine slices (or use frozen chopped leeks if available).
4. Cook spears, leeks, butter, salt & pepper (to taste) over medium heat until soft (8-10 mins.)
5. Add chicken broth & simmer 5 minutes.
6. Stir in peas & Parmesan cheese.
7. Process in Cuisinart Food Processor.
8. Return to stove top and stir in asparagus tips, half & half, and lemon juice.
9. Cook a few minutes til reheated and serve, garnishing with a few slivered almonds on top in each bowl.
The peas added at the end make the soup very green.