• Sweet potato 6 each, medium dice
• Carrot 3 each, cut into ¼” rounds
• Onion 3 each, large dice
• Celery ½ head, med diced
• Leeks 1 cup, small dice
• Fresh ginger root ¼ cup, cut into quarter sized rounds
• White wine 2 cups
• Ground cloves 1 tablespoon.
• Ground cinnamon 2 tablespoon.
• Ground nutmeg 1 tablespoon
• Brown sugar ½ cup
• Cinnamon stick 2 whole
• Star anise 1 whole
• Whole cloves 3 each
• Black peppercorns 6
• Flat leaf parsley ½ cup chopped
• Chicken stock or broth enough to cover by 1 inch
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Pancetta crisp 10 each (optional)
• Garlic and shallot minced 1 tablespoon. each
• Heavy cream 40% 1 cup
No nutrition information available
1. Heat whole butter and olive oil in a large sauce pot till smoking. Add onion and sauté over high heat till very sweet and caramelized. Add carrots, celery and leeks.
2. Saute till carrots are just tender. Add sweet potato and saute; till golden brown. Add ginger, garlic and shallots. Saute; till aromatics toast and give off a strong aroma.
3. Add white wine to deglaze pot. Let wine reduce slightly and add chicken stock. Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer till potatoes are very tender.
4. Puree all ingredients in pot with a burr mixer or blender. Return puree to pot. Add all spices and sugar. Season with salt and pepper to taste and Let simmer over very low heat for 2 hours to develop flavor.
5. Add parsley when you have 10 minutes of cook time left. Whisk in cream to smooth out the soup and develop a rich velvety texture
Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Strain and serve.
6. Garnish each serving with a crispy fried pancetta round and a couple drops of maple syrup.