This shorba is a great winter warmer dish. Not only does this dish look amazing in that stunning striking orange hue, it is extremely delicious and is great for a hearty yet healthy supper. If u love your carrots, this curried carrot shorba is here to take a warm lovable place in your heart !!
2 large/3 medium orange carrots – cut into large chunks
1 medium potato – cut into large chunks
1 medium sized onion – thinly sliced lengthwise
2 cups vegetable broth/water
1 inch ginger (optional) – minced
3 cloves of garlic – minced
1 medium green chilli -thinly sliced
10-15 whole Almonds
10-15 whole Cashews
2 tsp butter
1 tsp extra virgin Olive oil
1 tsp paprika/ chipotle powder
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 cup sour cream/ light cream/ yoghurt/ milk/ soya milk
No nutrition information available
1. Soak the almonds and cashews in 1/2 cup of water for 4-5 hours or overnight.
2. In a saucepan, heat 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil and 1 tsp butter. Once the butter melts, to this add the sliced onions. Saute on high flame till the onions are caramalized and golden brown. Take 2 tsp of cooked onion from this and keep aside for garnishing.
3. Toss in the minced ginger, garlic and chopped green chillies & fry for 2 minutes.
4. Now add in the carrots and potato chunks. Add salt to taste, turmeric powder and mix. Simmer and cook on medium flame till the carrots and potatoes are tender and cooked. Remove from flame and let it cool down a little.
5. In a food processor, put the cooked carrots, potato, soaked almonds & cashews. Add 1/2 cup water and blend to form a smooth puree.
6. Now take a pot. Add 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth/water and bring to boil. Add in the curried carrot puree and mix well. To this, add in pepper and chipotle/paprika to taste. Bring to boil.
7. Add in sour cream/yogurt and stir in the shorba. Remove from flame. Curried carrot shorba is ready.