Perfect for a special occasion first course, this creamy soup has surprisingly little cream.
1-1/2 pounds onions, peeled, cut in 1-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 russet potato, peeled and cubed
1 sprig fresh thyme
1/2 cup light cream
1 tablespoon dry Sherry
Chopped fresh chives or parsley
calories 130 (41% from fat) • carb. 15g • pro. 4g • fat 6g • sat. fat 4g • chol. 18mg • sod. 326mg • calc. 38mg • fiber 2g
1. Insert the metal blade in the Cuisinart® Food Processor. With the machine running, drop the garlic through the feed tube and chop, 5 seconds; scrape work bowl. Add the onion to the work bowl. Pulse to chop, 10 - 12 times.
2. Melt butter in 3-1/2 quart Cuisinart® sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté until tender and golden, 25 - 30 minutes.
3. Bring the stock, potato cubes and thyme to a boil in a Cuisinart® 3-3/4 quart saucepan. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer. Simmer until the potato is tender, 15 - 20 minutes. Stir in the caramelized onions and garlic. Drain the solids from the liquid, reserving both. Remove the sprig of thyme and discard. Let cool slightly.
4. Place the solids and about 2 cups of the liquid in the Cuisinart® Blender. Blend on High until smooth, about 40 seconds. Transfer to a clean saucepan. Stir in the reserved cooking liquid, light cream and sherry.
5. Simmer over low heat until heated through.
Serve hot garnished with chopped fresh chives or parsley.