½ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup chicken base
3 cups diced yellow onions
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups Masa Harina (Mexican flour)
4 quarts water (divided)
2 cups crushed tomatoes
½ pound processed American cheese , cut into small cubes (shredded also works)
3 pounds cooked, cubed chicken breast
Mixed cheese shreds, fresh pico de gallo, and crunchy tortilla strips
No nutrition information available
1. In large pot, combine oil, chicken base, onion, and spices. Saute until onions are soft and clear (about 5 minutes).
2. In a mixing bowl, combine Masa Harina with 1 quart water. Stir until all lumps dissolve.
3. Add Masa Harina "rue" to sauteed onions, bring to a boil. Once mixture starts to bubble, continue cooking 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Add tomatoes and remaining 3 quarts water to pot. Let mixture return to boil stirring occasionally.
5. Add American cheese to soup. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese melts.
6. Add chicken; heat through.
7. Ladel into soup bowls.
8. Top with mixed cheese shreds, pico de gallo, and tortilla strips.