Vietnamese PhoUser Submitted Recipe
6 qt Beef stock
1 ea Onion large
1 ea Ginger 3-5 inch piece
2 oz Fish sauce
2 Tbsp Salt preferably Kosher
1 oz Sugar granulated
2 lbs Rice noodles or other Asian noodles
Cheesecloth bag (sachét) consisting of: - 1 ea Cinnamon stick - 5 ea Star anise - 1 Tbsp Coriander seeds - 6 Clove buds - 1 Tbsp Fennel seed - 1 tsp Cardamom
1-2 ea Limes cut into wedges
16 oz Bean sprouts
16 oz Snow peas cut in half diagonally
1 ea Carrot large sliced paper thin
1 bunch ea: cilantro basil mint and green onion
1/2 lb Flank steak sliced thin as possible
1. Split onion and ginger in half and char on grill.
2. Bring the stock to a boil, add sachét, onion, ginger, salt, fish sauce and sugar. Return to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
3. Bring approximately 1 gallon of water to a boil and cook noodles for 5-10 minutes. Drain and reserve.
4. Prepare vegetables; cut snow peas in half, slice carrots, slice green onions on a bias and rough chop the remaining herbs.
5. Continue to simmer broth for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
6. When complete, strain and reserve broth.
7. To bowl up divide all ingredients into bowls; first the noodles, then vegetables and herbs, next place strips of meat on top. Ladle the very hot broth over all ingredients in the bowl. The broth will cook the meat.
8. Top with additional herbs and squeeze lime juice as needed. An addition of hot sauce is recommended for fans of spice.