Hearty Bean & Ham SoupUser Submitted Recipe
This recipe is one of our Fall and Winter favorites. Over the years, I've refined my original recipe until I cannot make a better bean soup! I freeze the left-over soup in various sizes of containers. Enjoy a great meal with slices of warm baguette bread!"
1 16 Ounce pkg. white navy beans
2 Quarts low-sodium chicken stock
1-2 Tablespoons low-sodium chicken paste or powder
2.5 Cups coarsely chopped sweet onion
1.5 Cups coarsely sliced celery
2 Cups raw, diced carrots
1/2 Teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 Teaspoon dried oregano leaves Pinch of dried rosemary leaves
2 Bay leaves Meaty ham bone Additional ham meat, as desired
3-4 Cups raw, diced potatoes*
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Rinse and soak beans according to package instructions.
2. Drain soaked beans; discard water. Dump beans in a 6-8 quart soup pot.
3. Add chicken stock, 1 quart water, 1 tablespoon broth paste or powder, and next eight ingredients to the stock pot.*
4. Stir, cover, and heat on high heat until mixture boils. Lower heat to a slow boil and continue this for 30 minutes, covered. Lower heat to low; simmer for 4-5 hours until ham is falling off the bone. Remove ham bone and let it cool.
5. If soup is too thick, add one quart water and 1 tablespoon chicken paste or powder. Increase heat until soup boils.
6. Prepare the potatoes and add to pot.*
7. Remove ham from bone and add to soup; discard bone. May also add more ham, if desired.
8. Bring soup back to slow boil, covered. Cook until potatoes are soft, about 30-40 minutes.
9. Taste-test and add salt and/or pepper, as needed.
10. Remove bay leaf and discard. Simmer until ready to serve.
*May also use slow cooker; will need to add potatoes in Step 3. Slow-cooker process will add an additional 4-6 hours of cooking time (total of 10-12 hours).
no nutrition information available
Recipe Swap Review