Butternut Squash SoupUser Submitted Recipe
Cooking time: Low for 7 to 9 hours, then high for 1 hour"
1 butternut squash that will fit in your slow cooker
2 Tbsp water
1 large yellow onion
1 Tbsp olive oil or butter
4 C chicken or vegetable broth
1 tsp brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash squash and place in slow cooker with water. Cover and cook on low until tender, 7-9 hours. When squash is done, a paring knife will pierce it easily and slip through to the center. Allow squash to cool. Do not discard any liquid in the slow cooker.
2. While squash is cooling, peel and chop onion. Heat oil in sauce pan. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened (~5 minutes). Set aside.
3. Slice squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape out seeds and strings, discard. Scoop out the cooked flesh. Set aside
4. Add broth to slow cooker and stir to dissolve any caramelized squash juices that have accumulated in the bottom.
5. Add onions and squash to liquid in slow cooker. Blend with immersion blender.
6. Add brown sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Cover and cook on high until soup is hot.
8. Serve hot topped with sour cream, plain yogurt, or creme fraiche and a few toasted cumin seeds or pepitas.
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!