Chicken SoupUser Submitted Recipe
1 large stewing chicken, cut in quarters
3 quarts water, or enough to cover chicken in pot
1 large onion, sliced (or whole with skin)
2 large carrots, peeled & sliced
2 stalks celery with leaves, sliced
1 parsnip, quartered
1 celery root
6 sprigs parsley
½ cup freshly chopped dill
salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash and pat dry chicken. Place in pot. Add water and bring to a boil.
2. Lower heat and simmer. Skim scum.
3. Cover pot and continue to simmer for 30 minutes. Add onion, carrots, celery and parsnip and continue to simmer for 1 hour.
4. Add parsley, dill, salt and pepper. Cook 30 minutes longer or until chicken is tender.
5. Allow to cool. Remove chicken and strain vegetables. Chill in refrigerator and remove fat that has congealed on top. Makes 2 ½ quarts.
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!