The bacon sage butter partners perfectly with this soup. Rave reviews are almost guaranteed.
- 2 slices bacon, diced and cooked through, about ¼ cup bacon crumbles
- 3 to 4 sage leaves
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium leek, cleaned well, white and light green parts only (about 6 ounces trimmed), sliced, about 1 cup
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch cubes, about 8 cups
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
Calories 268 (59% from fat) • carb. 22g • sugars 4g • pro. 5g • fat 18g • sat. fat 11g • chol. 70mg • sod. 741mg • calc. 92mg • fiber 4g
Make the butter:
- Put the bacon and sage leaves into the chopping cup. Select Speed 5 and pulse until evenly and finely chopped. Add the butter, salt and pepper and process until combined.
- Wrap butter in plastic wrap (twist both ends of the plastic wrap so that butter will form a log shape). Refrigerate until serving. Butter should be really cold and hard for serving.
Make the soup:
- Put the butter into a medium stockpot and place over medium/medium low heat. Once butter melts, add the leeks. Cook until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in the butternut squash, garlic, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt and all of the pepper.
- Stir ingredients together well and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in the sherry. Once the sherry has just about evaporated, add the broth so that the squash is completely submerged. Increase the heat. When the liquid comes to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, until squash is very soft and tender, about 20 minutes.
- Once tender, select Speed 5 and blend, using the blending shafts and an up-and-down motion until smooth, about 1 to 1½ minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Add the remaining salt ½ teaspoon at a time, tasting with each addition until desired seasoning is achieved.
- To serve: Ladle soup into individual serving bowls and place a pat of Bacon Sage Butter in each bowl.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!