This warming soup has just the right amount of spices. From start to finish, the Cuisinart® Food Processor makes this recipe a breeze.
1 garlic clove, peeled
½ small jalapeño, seeded
1 small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 small bell pepper, any color, cored, seeded and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 bay leaf
2½ cups chicken or vegetable broth, low sodium
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice fresh cilantro, for garnish
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup):
Calories 216 (15% from fat) • carb. 36g • pro. 10g • fat 4g
- sat. fat 1g • chol. 0mg • sod. 1g • calc. 77mg • fiber 9g
Active Time: 35 minutes
Inactive Time: 30 minutes
- Insert the chopping blade into the work bowl of the food processor. While running on High, drop the garlic and jalapeño through the feed tube and allow to process until finely chopped. Scrape down the sides and add the onion and bell pepper. Using quick pulses, pulse about 6 to 7 times until finely chopped.
- Put the olive oil into a 4- to 6-quart pot set over medium-low heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped vegetables to the pot with a pinch each of the salt and pepper. Sauté until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the beans, cumin, bay leaf and broth, along with the remaining salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high to bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and allow soup to cook for about 30 minutes to meld the flavors.
- Once soup is ready, remove the bay leaf and discard.
Allow the soup to cool for about 5 minutes and then transfer to the food processor, fitted with the chop- ping blade. Pulse about 5 times to combine and “mash” the beans a bit. If you prefer a completely smooth soup, process on High until desired consis- tency has been achieved (you may need to add a bit more broth). Transfer back to the pot and stir in the lime juice.
- Serve immediately with chopped fresh cilantro.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!