A small amount of fresh ginger goes a long way. You’ll love how it brightens up the warm flavors in this silky-smooth soup.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
½ ounce fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
Pinch freshly ground nutmeg
1 thyme sprig
4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup):
Calories 96 (42% from fat) • carb. 12g • pro. 3g • fat 5g
• sat. fat 3g • chol. 12mg • sod. 757mg
• calc. 37mg • fiber 3g
1. Put the butter or oil into a 6-quart saucepan set over medium heat. Once heated, stir in the onion, ginger and garlic and sauté gently.
2. Add the carrots, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and thyme. Stir to coat ingredients well and allow to heat through.
3. Add the chicken broth. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Once soup comes to a boil, reduce the heat so that it is barely simmering. Cover and simmer until the carrots become tender, about 50 to 60 minutes.
4. Once tender, separate the solids from liquid. Put about half of the broth and half of the solids into the blender jar. Blend on Low for about 10 seconds and then switch speed to High to blend thoroughly. Pour soup into a clean pot. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.