Making risotto in the microwave has 2 distinct advantages – no constant stirring, and it is prepared in the serving dish.
1cup frozen peas
¼teaspoon saffron threads
2cups low sodium chicken broth
2tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into eight ½-inch pieces
½cup finely chopped shallot
1cup Arborio rice
⅓cup dry white vermouth or other dry white wine
½ teaspoon kosher salt
⅓cup freshly grated Reggiano Parmesan or Grana Padano® cheese
Calories 146 (33% from fat) ▪ carb. 15g ▪ pro. 7g ▪ fat 5g ▪ sat. fat 3g ▪ chol. 15mg ▪ sod. 228mg ▪ calc. 71mg ▪ fiber 1g
1. Defrost peas in microwave. Do not cook.
2. Transfer to a strainer and let drain. Place water in a 2-cup measure and place in the Cuisinart Compact Microwave and heat to boiling, about 3 minutes on High. Add saffron threads and stir; reserve.
3. Heat chicken broth in a 2-cup glass measure for 5 minutes on High; reserve.
4. Heat the butter for 30 seconds on high in a 1½ quart round microwave safe casserole at least 4-inches high. Add chopped shallot, cover with a round of waxed paper cut just slightly larger than the diameter of the dish. Microwave on High for 3 minutes. Stir. Add Arborio rice and stir to coat with melted butter. Microwave on High for 2 minutes. Stir and arrange in an even layer. Microwave on High for 2 minutes. Stir in wine. Microwave on High for 1 minute. Stir in saffron infused water. Microwave on High for 5 minutes. Stir. Stir in 1 cup of the reserved heated chicken stock. Microwave on High for 5 minutes. Stir in remaining chicken stock and salt. Microwave on High for 5 minutes. Stir in reserved peas and the grated cheese. Microwave on High for 1 minutes.
5. Let stand for 3 minutes. Stir again. Serve hot.