Makes 12 servings Approximate preparation time: 15 minutes plus 50 minutes for baking and 15 minutes for resting
No servings information available
Nonstick cooking spray
7 ounces Parmesan, cut into ½-inch cubes
3 large garlic cloves
1 small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
4 cups reduced-fat milk
1 tablespoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
3¾ pounds white potatoes, peeled
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 260 (39% from fat) | carb. 28g | pro. 12g | fat 11g | sat. fat 5g | chol. 22mg | sod. 865mg | calc. 335mg | fiber 4g
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Lightly coat an 11-inch gratin dish with nonstick cooking spray. Insert the large metal chopping blade into the medium work bowl of the Cuisinart® Food Processor. Add the Parmesan and chop until fine; remove work bowl and reserve.
3. Insert the large metal chopping blade into the large work bowl. With machine running, drop the garlic cloves through the small feed tube to chop. Add the onions and pulse to chop, about 8 to 10 pulses.
4. Put the oil into a 6-quart saucepan and place over medium heat. Once oil is heated add the flour and stir over heat for about 1 minute. Add the onion mixture. Cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
5. Slowly whisk in the milk with salt, pepper and nutmeg and bring to a simmer until thickened. Remove pan from heat.
6. Replace chopping blade with slicing disc adjusted to 2mm and slice the potatoes. Add potatoes to saucepan and return to medium heat. Simmer milk with potatoes for about 10 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through but still firm. Remove from heat and stir in ²∕³ of the reserved cheese.
7. Layer into prepared gratin dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake in oven until tender and golden on top, about 50 minutes. Allow gratin to sit for about 15 minutes before serving.