2 teaspoons unsalted butter
½ cup chopped onion (about one small onion)
3 cups cut corn, fresh or frozen, thawed and patted dry, divided
3 large eggs
1½ cups evaporated fat free milk, not reconstituted
3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
¾ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon freshly ground pepper to taste
2-4 drops hot sauce
Quart very hot water
Nutritional information per serving (based on 8 servings): Calories 174 (23% from fat) • carb. 24g • pro. 10g • fat 5g • sat. fat 2g • chol. 109mg • sod. 410mg • calc. 200mg • fiber 2g
1. Lightly coat a 1-quart soufflé dish with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Cut a piece of aluminum foil about 24 inches long. Fold in half lengthwise, then fold in half again two more times to create a strip about 24 inches in length and 2 inches wide to make a “cradle”; reserve.
3. Melt butter in a Cuisinart® 10-inch skillet over medium high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring about 5 minutes (until translucent). Reserve.
4. Place 1½ cups of corn into work bowl of a Cuisinart® Food Processor. Pulse four or five times, to chop corn roughly. Add eggs, evaporated milk and onion; pulse until mixed.
5. Place the remaining 1½ cups corn in a 1½-quart mixing bowl; sprinkle with cornmeal. Add chopped corn mixture. Stir until just mixed. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.
6. Transfer to prepared soufflé dish. Set the dish in the center of the long strip of folded foil and bring up the sides to meet twisting together to form a handle. Place small rack in ceramic pot of the Cuisinart® Slow Cooker. Add hot water to pot. To place filled soufflé dish on rack, use the foil cradle to help lift the dish, and carefully lower the dish into the pot and place on the rack. Cover and press the on/off button to turn the unit on. Set time to 3½ hours and press Low. Slow cooker will automatically switch to Warm when cooking time has elapsed.
7. Casserole will be puffed and golden. Remove the soufflé dish from the slow cooker using the foil strips to lift it.
Note: You may prepare the Corn Pudding using a blender rather than a food processor.