Trimming the bottoms of the artichokes ensures that they stand up straight, so do not skip that step. Also, in addition to adding flavor, the lemon slices prevent the artichokes from turning brown during cooking. Enjoy plain or dip in a nice lemon oil.
1½ quarts water (reduce to 1 quart for MSC-400)
6 medium to large artichokes (reduce to 4 for MSC-400)
6 to 12 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (reduce to 4 cloves for MSC-400)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, from about 2 lemons (reduce to 1/4 cup, 1 lemon, for the MSC-400)
pinch freshly ground black pepper
pinch sea or kosher salt
6 thin slices lemon (reduce to 4 slices for MSC-400)
Nutritional information per artichoke:
Calories 73 (3% from fat) • carb. 17g • pro. 5g
• fat 0g • sat. fat 0g • chol. 25mg • sod. 122mg
• calc. 78mg • fiber 8g
1. Put the water into the cooking pot of the Multicooker fitted with the steaming rack and cover
2. Cut the stems off the artichokes so they are able to stand. Using a serrated knife, cut the tops of the artichokes off, and with kitchen shears, trim the tips of the outer leaves. Pull leaves back to open the artichokes.
3. Evenly stuff the garlic slices in between the leaves of each artichoke. Season each with lemon juice, pepper and salt. Place one lemon slice on top of each artichoke.
4. Set the unit to Steam for 50 minutes (reduce to 25 minutes for the MSC-400).
5. Once tone sounds, indicating unit is ready to steam, place the artichokes upright in the rack and cover again.
6. Artichokes are done when the leaves can be pulled off easily, and when turned over, the tip of a paring knife easily pierces the bottom-center of the artichoke (the heart).
See more recipes on
Download it Today!