Braised FennelCuisinart Original Recipe
Braising is one of the most rewarding preparations for fennel. It sweetens the vegetables and brings out the rich licorice tones."
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 fennel bulbs (about 1½ to 2 pounds in total), cut into ½-inch slices (save the fronds for another use)
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1⁄3 cup dry white wine
1½ cups chicken broth, low sodium
½ teaspoon grated orange zest
¼ cup oil-cured black olives, pitted and halved
1. Put the oil into the cooking pot of the Multicooker set to Brown/Sauté at 375ºF.
2. Once unit has preheated, add one third of the sliced fennel. Sauté about 2 to 4 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove and reserve; repeat with remaining fennel.
3. Put all of the fennel back into the cooking pot and season with the salt and pepper. Add the wine and cook until almost evaporated, about 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add the broth. Reduce the heat to 300°F. Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the fennel is fully softened, sweet and fragrant. Add the zest and olives to the pot during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
5. Serve immediately.
Note: If using the TOB-260, follow the directions below.
1. Adjust the rack to position 2. Preheat the oven on Dual Cook set to Bake with Convection at 425°F for 15 minutes then to Bake with Convection at 350˚F for 25 minutes. Line the baking pan with parchment.
2. In a medium bowl toss the fennel slices with oil, salt and pepper until the fennel has been evenly coated. Arrange the slices in a single layer on the pan. Pour the wine and chicken broth directly on the fennel.
3. Once the oven beeps to signal it is preheated, put the fennel in the oven and bake until softened and well caramelized. During the last 5 minutes of cooking stir in the orange zest and olives.
ServingsMakes about 3 cups
Nutritional information per serving (½ cup):
Calories 90 (57% from fat) • carb. 7g • pro. 2g
• fat 6g • sat. fat 1g • chol. 6mg • sod. 112mg
• calc. 40mg • fiber 2g
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!