An old favorite made fresh at home.
2 cups crusty bread, cut into ½-inch cubes
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Salad and Dressing:
1 head romaine lettuce
2 ounces Parmigiano Reggiano
1 small garlic clove
3 to 4 anchovy fillets
2 tablespoons egg substitute
(may substitute 1 fresh, raw egg yolk; be sure you use the freshest eggs possible and from a trusted source –
or use 2 tablespoons mayonnaise)
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1∕3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Nutritional information per serving (based on 6 servings):
Calories 256 (68% from fat) • carb. 14g • pro. 7g • fat 20g • sat. fat 4g
• chol. 45mg • sod. 433mg • calc. 161mg • fiber 3g
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking tray with aluminum foil. Toss bread cubes together with olive oil, crushed garlic clove and salt. Pour onto prepared baking tray and bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, tossing croutons once during bake time. Croutons should be evenly golden. Remove and reserve.
2. Clean lettuce and tear each leaf into bite size pieces. Dry well and reserve in large salad bowl.
3. Insert the shredding disc into the work bowl. Shred the cheese; remove and reserve.
4. Carefully remove the shredding disc and insert the chopping blade. Add the garlic clove and process until finely chopped. Add anchovies, egg substitute/yolk/mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and pepper to the work bowl. Process until well blended. With machine running, slowly pour olive oil through the feed tube in a steady stream so that dressing becomes emulsified.
5. Toss lettuce with reserved croutons, Parmesan and dressing. Serve immediately.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!