Jalapeño-Bacon Potato SaladUser Submitted Recipe
4 slices center cut bacon
2 pounds baby red potatoes, steamed or grilled
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1/2 cup low fat or fat-free sour cream
1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon stone ground mustard
1/4 cup (~2 large) minced jalapeño pepper, seeds removed (less if you don't want too much heat)
1 tsp salt (less or more to taste)
1/2 tsp pepper (less or more to taste)
1. Cook Bacon either in skillet or microwave until crispy, drain and crumble.
2. Wash potatoes.
3. If steaming potatoes: Cube into 1/2" pieces. Steam over boiling water for 10-15 minutes until tender OR in microwave using steam bag and bag instructions.
4. If grilling potatoes: Preheat grill, slice potatoes into 1/2 inch thick slices, steam for 5 minutes (to par-cook) and then brush with a little olive oil (season with spices if you want) and then cook on grill for 15-20 minutes until tender. Once tender, let cool for about 10 minutes and cube into 1/2" pieces.
5. Combine green onions and remaining 7 ingredients in a small bowl and mix it up. Spoon mixture over potato, and toss to coat and then add the bacon, mixing it in last.
6. Cover and chill at least 1 hour for flavors to blend, overnight being best.
1. Add 1 tsp bacon grease to the sauce mix to give it an extra smokey flavor.
2. Swap the diced jalapenos for grilled poblano peppers.
3. Use chipotle-mustard or swap a teaspoon of the jalapeno for diced chipotle.
Servings8 servings (size: 3/4 cup)
Per Serving; using Fat-free Sour Cream & Light Mayo - Calories: 115; Total Fat: 1.7g; Sat. Fat: 0.5g; Cholesterol: 4mg; Sodium: 407mg; Total Carbs.: 21.4g; Fiber: 2.1g; Sugars: 2.9g; Protein: 3.8g
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!