Makes about 4 cups
2 ripe plum tomatoes
½ medium red pepper
½ medium yellow pepper
½ pound eggplant
½ cup pitted olives
½ red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons capers
¼ cup pine nuts
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
¼ cup (scant) granulated sugar
Extra kosher salt, basil and/or mint for seasoning
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 84 (72% from fat) • carb. 6g • pro. 1g • fat 7g • sat. fat 1g • Col. 0mg • sod. 51mg • calc. 5mg • fiber 1g
Vegetarian • Gluten Free
1. Insert the Dicing Assembly and secure the Food Processor Lid.
2. Dice 2 plum tomatoes on Speed 12.
3. Remove and reserve. Dice ½ each medium red and yellow pepper, ½ red onion and ½ pound eggplant on Speed 12.
4. Remove and reserve separately from the tomatoes. Insert the Metal Chopping Blade. Add ½ cup pitted olives to the work bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid.
5. Pulse to roughly chop. Remove and reserve with the tomatoes.
6. Replace Metal Chopping Blade with Stirring Paddle. Add ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil to the work bowl with the reserved peppers, eggplant and onion.
7. Secure the Cooking Lid with the Steam Cap removed. The cooking time is set for 10 minutes at 275°F on Speed 1.
8. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the work bowl with the reserved olives and tomatoes, 2 tablespoons capers and ¼ cup pine nuts.
9. The cooking time is set for an additional 10 minutes at 275°F on Speed 1.
10. Add 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar and scant ¼ cup of sugar.
11. The cooking time is set for an additional 4 minutes at 275°F on Speed 1.
12. Season lightly with salt to taste. Add torn fresh basil and mint as desired.
13. Caponata should be served cold.