A great sauce for pasta.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion (5 to 6 ounces), peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1 carrot (2 ounces), peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1 rib celery, trimmed and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine (such as vermouth)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cans (15-ounce) recipe-ready diced tomatoes with juices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Calories 47 (17% from fat) • carb. 8g • pro. 1g • fat 1g • sat. fat 0g • chol. 0mg • sod. 194mg • calc. 26mg • fiber 2g
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and basil. Cover loosely and cook until the vegetables are softened but not browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the roasted red pepper, wine, tomato paste, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, loosely covered. Uncover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes longer to thicken. Turn off heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Insert the hand blender into the saucepan, making sure the protective guard is submerged. Blend on Low, using an up-and-down motion until ingredients are well combined, about 30 to 60 seconds, until the sauce reaches desired consistency.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!