Delicious served over microwaved broccoli and cauliflower.
1cup reduced fat milk
2tablespoons unsalted butter
2tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
¼teaspoon kosher salt
¼teaspoon dry mustard
dash Tabasco or other hot sauce to taste
¾cup (3ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar*
Calories 90 (69% from fat) ▪ carb. 3g ▪ pro. 4g ▪ fat 7g ▪ sat. fat 4g ▪ chol. 21mg ▪ sod. 126mg ▪ calc. 114mg ▪ fiber 0g
1. Place milk in a 1-cup glass measuring cup or other microwave safe cup and place in the Cuisinart Compact Microwave. Microwave for 1½ minutes on High (PL-10); reserve.
2. Place butter in a 4 -cup glass measuring cup or other deep 4 cup microwave safe bowl with a handle. Cover with a sheet of waxed paper and microwave for 1 minute on High (PL-10) or until melted. Add flour and stir with a whisk until smooth. Microwave on High for 2 minutes until foamy, stirring with a whisk after 45 seconds and 1½ minutes of cooking.
3. Add warm milk, salt, mustard, and hot sauce; whisk until smooth. Microwave on Medium-High, uncovered for 3 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, and then every 45 seconds, until the sauce boils and thickens. At this point, you have a “medium white sauce.”
4. Add cheese and stir until smooth. Microwave, uncovered, on Medium-High (PL-7) for 3 minutes, whisking after 1 minute, after 2 minutes, and again when done. Serve hot.
5. If not using immediately, cover with a round of waxed paper directly on the sauce to prevent a skin from forming. To reheat after standing for a short time (10 to 15 minutes), microwave on Medium (PL-5) for 1½ minutes, stirring after 45 seconds.
*May use grated Reggiano Parmesan or Asiago Cheese in place of Cheddar.