Grilled Ahi Tuna Sandwich with balsamic onions, baby bok choy, goat cheese and Hoisin sauce
• 6 oz portion of fresh Ahi Tuna ("steak") should be at least 1/2 inch thick
• A few leaves of baby bok choy
• 1 oz of goat cheese
• a few thin slices red onion or Vidallia onion
• 3/4 cup of Balsamic vinegar
• 1 T sugar
• 1T Hoisin sauce
• Hawaiian red sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
• 1-2 T EVOO
• Really nice Ciabatta roll
No nutrition information available
1. Rinse the baby bok choy leaves clean of dirt and blanch in lightly salted boiling water for 1 minute. Remove from water and cool in ice bath. Reserve for later.
2. Thinly slice a few pieces of your onion. Place in a med-hot saute or sauce pan with a tiny bit of evoo and sear. Then deglaze pan with balsamic vinegar turn down to a simmer, add sugar and cover for approximately 10 minutes or until most of the vinegar has been reduced into the onions. Remove from heat, remove from pan and reserve for later.
3. Slice your roll, rub a bit of either butter or EVOO on both sides and lightly grill or warm in a pan.
4. Season your tuna with the salt and pepper on both sides. On either a hot grill, hot cast iron or saute pan, sear the tuna on both sides for 1 minute for rare, 2 mins for mid rare, etc...
5. To build your sandwich, begin with your roll, add some of your Hoisin sauce to the bottom them your tuna, then your bok choy, then your balsamic onions, then your goat cheese and finish with a bit more of your Hoisin sauce. Add top of bun and enjoy! * If your tuna is rare to mid rare-cut in half for dramatic effect ;) It's a pretty sandwich!