A special dessert loaded with real apricot flavor.
Makes one 8-cup soufflé.
Butter and granulated sugar for preparing soufflé dish
2 pounds fresh apricots
¼ cup *Simple Syrup*
¼ cup Honey
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon pure almond extract or almond liqueur
5 large egg whites
¼ cup granulated sugar
Nutritional information per serving (based on 12 servings): Calories 86 (3% from fat) • carb. 20g • pro. 3g • fat 0g • sat. fat 0g • Col. 0mg • sod. 36mg • calc. 11mg • fiber 2g
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Prepare a baking tray by lining it with parchment paper.
2. Butter a 2-quart soufflé dish well and then add enough granulated sugar to coat the buttered insides. Be sure to butter well to have the dish fully coated with sugar. Shake out any excess sugar.
3. Place 2 pound fresh apricots on prepared baking tray.
4. Roast in preheated oven for about an hour, until the apricots are soft and the skins are shriveled and loose.
5. Apricots should be tossed a few times during baking time to ensure even roasting.
6. Once apricots are roasted, place in a small bowl.
7. When they are cool enough to handle, halve the apricots, remove the pits, and scoop out the fruit pulp. Discard pits and skins, reserve pulp.
8. Preheat oven to 350°F.
9. Insert Metal Chopping Blade. Add roasted apricot pulp and ¼ cup *Simple Syrup* to the work bowl.
10. Add 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon almond extract or almond liqueur. Secure the Cooking Lid.
11. The processor is set to blend for 30 seconds on Speed 8 until completely smooth.
12. Transfer contents to a large stainless mixing bowl. Wash and dry work bowl and lid.
13. Insert the Whisk. Add 5 large egg whites into the clean work bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid.
14. The processor is set to whip for 4 minutes on Speed 7. With 1 minute remaining, add ¼ cup granulated sugar through the Steam Vent with the machine running.
15. Whites should be firm and glossy.
16. Fold egg whites into apricot mixture in 3 additions with the spatula, being sure to incorporate the whites carefully, but thoroughly, after each addition.
17. Pour mixture into prepared soufflé dish and bake in oven until the soufflé has puffed and the top is browned, about 35 to 40 minutes. The soufflé should still wiggle slightly when shaken.