Makes one 12-inch pizza
2 pounds onions, halved
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon granulated sugar
½ teaspoon dried thyme
4 anchovies, finely chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
½ recipe *Pizza Dough*
12 Nicoise olives, pitted and sliced in half
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 225 (33% from fat) • carb. 33g • pro. 5g • fat 8g • sat. fat 3g • Col. 13mg •sod. 545mg • calc. 32mg • fiber 2g
1. Insert the Slicing Disc Assembly adjusted to 2mm. Secure the Food Processor Lid.
2. Slice 2 pounds of halved onions on Speed 12.
3. Remove and reserve. Replace the Slicing Disc Assembly with the Stirring Paddle and add 3 tablespoons butter. Secure the Cooking Lid.
4. The cooking time is set for 5 minutes at 250°F.
5. Once butter is melted, add the sliced onions with ½ teaspoon each salt, sugar and dried thyme. Secure Cooking Lid with Steam Cap in place.
6. The cooking time is set for 15 minutes on 220°F on Speed 1.
7. Remove Steam Cap. The cooking time is set for 45 minutes at 210°F.
8. While onions are cooking, preheat oven to 450°F.
9. Combine 4 minced anchovies and a tablespoon olive oil; reserve.
10. Shape the dough: Once pizza dough has risen, punch down and let rest for 10 minutes. On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough out to a 12-inch round.
11. Place on a perforated pizza pan or a greased pizza screen or baking sheet. If using a baking stone, prepare on a pizza peel or baking sheet without sides that has been well sprinkled with cornmeal.
12. Once onions have finished cooking and are soft and still light in color, brush the entire surface of the dough with the anchovy oil.
13. Top with onions, leaving a 1-inch border around the outside. Place 24 Niçoise olive halves evenly over onions.
14. If desired, extra anchovies can be laid in "X’s" on the top of the pie as well.
15. Bake in preheated oven until golden and crisp, and the onions have begun to brown around the edges, about 10 to 15 minutes.
16. Cut into slices and serve immediately.