We upped the creaminess factor in our version of everyone’s favorite comfort food. The béchamel is the centerpiece of the ultimate macaroni and cheese.
Note: The amounts listed are for the MSC-600 (6 quart) model. If you have the MSC-400 (4 quart) model, simply halve all of the ingredients to accomodate for the smaller capacity.
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
6 cups whole milk
¾ teaspoon sea or kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
pinch ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
12 ounces various shredded cheeses (we love using Cheddar and/or fontina)
4 ounces grated Parmesan
1 pound macaroni, par-cooked (see package instructions and cook half of the suggested time), reserved
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup):
Calories 455 (48% from fat) • carb. 38g • pro. 20g
• fat 24g • sat. fat 14g • chol. 68mg • sod. 478mg
• calc. 455mg • fiber 2g
1. Put the butter into the cooking pot of the Multicooker set to Brown/Sauté at 300°F. Once butter has melted, stir in the flour and cook, stirring often, for about 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture is lightly browned and thickened.
2. Gradually whisk in the milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg and dried mustard using a nonstick whisk. Raise heat to 325°F to bring the mixture to a boil. Stirring constantly, let mixture cook about 2 to 3 minutes or so, until thickened.
3. Once the white sauce has thickened, stir in the cheeses and mix until melted.
4. Stir in the macaroni until well mixed and cover.
5. Switch the unit to Slow Cook on Low for 2 hours.
6. Once time has expired, the unit will automatically switch to Keep Warm. Serve immediately, garnished with toasted breadcrumbs if desired.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!