12 fresh picked apples
1 pound dark brown sugar
16 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
14 ounce can condensed milk
⅔ cup corn syrup
⅓ cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
12 popsicle sticks or chopsticks
½ cup pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
½ cup sprinkles or crunchies (optional)
No nutrition information available
- Wash and stem apples
- Pre-heat Cuisinart pellet grill to 350°F
- Place non-reactive pot in the hottest part of the pellet grill
- Add sugar, milk, corn syrup, maple, molasses, vanilla & salt to pan in pellet grill.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir the mixture every 5 minutes until sugar dissolves, approximately 15 minutes
- Increase Woodcreek to SEAR and insert ceramic briquettes
- Cook caramel at a rolling boil, stirring constantly for 15 minutes until probe reads 240°F
- Pour caramel into metal bowl and cool to 200°F, approximately 20 minutes
- While caramel cools, quickly char the apples over the ceramic briquettes in three batches. Keep turning apples so they get a good external char without breaking down the internal flesh, approximately 2 minutes per apple.
- Cool apples in refrigerator
- While apples are cooling, line a large sheet pan with foil and brush with butter.
- Remove apple from refrigerator and push a popsicle stick or chopstick into each apple
- Holding by popsicle stick, submerge apple into caramel, leaving top by popsicle stick exposed.
- Lift apple out of caramel allowing excess caramel to dip back into bowl, do not shake off excess caramel
- Turn apple caramel side up and hold for a few seconds to let caramel set
- Place apple on foil and repeat working quickly.
- If caramel becomes too thick, place bowl with caramel over a pot of boiling water and stir until loose. Make sure bowl fits in pot and edges do not hang over open flame to avoid burning caramel.
- Chill caramel apples at room temperature until partially set, approximately 15 minutes, before pressing any desired nuts or other toppings into caramel.
- Chill for an additional hour at room temperature before eating. Can be refrigerated up to one week.