A classic, simple 2-2-1 smoke on baby back ribs cooked on the Cuisinart Woodcreek 4-in-1 pellet grill. These ribs are tender with a perfect glaze formed by wrapping in foil with barbecue sauce for the final hour of smoking.
2-2-1 is a competitive barbecue method for smoking ribs. The numbers stand for 2 hours meat side up, 2 hours meat side down, and 1 hour wrapped in foil. Similar to the popular 3-2-1 method but yields juicy, firm finished ribs with amazing flavor.
1 rack baby back ribs
¼ cup BBQ seasoning, plus a couple pinches for garnish
¼ cup BBQ sauce
2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
No nutrition information available
- Pat ribs dry.
- Remove the membrane from the back (bone side). Often it comes off very easily, but you may need to use a utility knife to remove the edge of the membrane from the bones. Grab the membrane with a paper towel and pull. The membrane should come off in a single sheet.
- Liberally dust the ribs with BBQ seasoning.
- Cure overnight, uncovered in a non-reactive pan.
- Pre-heat Cuisinart Woodcreek 4-in-1 Pellet Grill to 225°F.
- Cook ribs meat side up for 2 hours
- Cook ribs meat side down for 2 hours
- Tear two sheets of aluminum foil that are approximately 3 inches longer than the ribs on either end.
- Brush the foil with half of the sauce.
- Drizzle with half of the honey or agave nectar
- Place ribs meat side down directly on sauce.
- Brush remaining sauce directly on to bone side of ribs.
- Drizzle with remaining honey or agave nectar.
- Fold ends inward, then sides to cover ribs.
- Top with the second piece of foil, folding ends underneath.
- Flip ribs and tighten foil around ribs making sure not to puncture. We want the ribs to cook and create a glaze. Any holes will cause the ribs to steam.
- You can keep the foil a little loose around the tips of bones to avoid punctures.
- Cook foil-wrapped ribs for 1 hour.
- Remove ribs from the smoker, uncover and rest on cutting board.
- Cut into individual ribs and garnish with a sprinkle of seasoning.
- Serve immediately with your favorite sides.