This gluten free take on classic cornbread is elevated by the addition of smoke and a punch of earthy sweetness and saltiness from the honey butter.
1 stick butter, salted
1/4 cup honey, organic raw
3 cups buttermilk
1 stick butter, unsalted, melted and divided
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cup gluten-free cornmeal, fine
1 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon sugar, granulated
No nutrition information available
- Soften butter at room temperature.
- Using a mixer, cream butter and honey. Hold at room temperature.
- Preheat pellet grill to 320°F.
- Place Cuisinart 10-inch cast iron skillet in the smoker to pre-heat.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together buttermilk, eggs, half the melted butter and salt.
- Once combined stir in baking powder, baking soda, cornmeal, almond flour and sugar until fully incorporated. The batter should be loose and have no lumps.
- Remove cast iron skillet from smoker and pour in remaining butter, carefully swirling to coat entire skillet in butter.
- Immediately pour batter into skillet and bake until golden brown and when toothpick inserted to center comes out clean (approximately 35 to 40 minutes)
- Top hot cornbread with Honey Butter and spread evenly over top of bread. Let soak in while bread cools.