Makes about 4 cups.
½ pound sharp cheddar (or cheese of your choice)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2½ tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
⅛ teaspoon sea salt
Pinch dry mustard
½ pound cooked elbows (or macaroni of your choice)
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup): Calories 410 (49% from fat) • carb. 34g • pro. 17g • fat 22g • sat. fat 13g • Col. 69mg • sod. 569mg • calc. 376mg • fiber 1g
1. Insert the Shredding Disc Assembly adjusted to coarse shred. Secure the Food Processor Lid.
2. Shred ½ pound sharp Cheddar (or desired cheese) on Speed 12. Remove and reserve.
3. Clean the bowl. Insert Stirring Paddle, add 3 tablespoons butter. Secure the Cooking Lid with the Steam Cap removed.
4. The cooking time is set for 3 minutes at 165°F on speed 1.
5. Once butter has melted, add 2½ tablespoons flour. The cooking time is set to 10 minutes at 200°F on Speed 3.
6. The cooking time is set for 40 minutes at 205°F on speed 4. When started, gradually add 2 cups milk.
7. Mixture should be thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
8. Add the reserved cheese, ⅛ teaspoon salt and pinch of dry mustard. Cooking time is set for 5 minutes at 180°F on Speed 2.
9. Add ½ pound cooked macaroni. The cooking time is set for 5 minutes at 85°F on Speed 6 to stir.
10. Finish stirring with a spatula to completely incorporate. Taste and adjust seasoning according to preference.