Our challah makes the best French toast — that’s if you have any left over, of course!
- ¼ cup warm water (105°F to 110°F)
- 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 4-1/3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- Egg wash (1 large egg and 1 tbsp water whisked together)
- Nonstick cooking spray
Nutritional information per serving (2-ounce slice): Calories 119 (61% from fat) • carb. 18g • pro. 3g • fat 4g sat. fat 2g • chol. 30mg • sod. 202mg • calc. 4mg fiber 0g
- Stir together the warm water, yeast and 2 teaspoons of the sugar into the Cuisinart® mixing bowl. Attach the dough hook and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Once the yeast has proofed, add the cold water, melted butter, flour and salt to the mixing bowl. Knead on Speed 2 to incorporate ingredients. Increase to Speed 4 and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Dough should be soft and spring back to the touch.
- Cover mixing bowl and let dough rise in a warm, draft-free place until volume is doubled, about 1 to 1½ hours. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and punch down. Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Use your hands to roll each piece into a cylinder about 1½ x 14 inches. Place the cylinders side by side on the prepared tray. Braid loosely from one end. Gently pull and taper each end to a point, then pinch and tuck under loaf. Cover with plastic wrap coated with cooking spray and let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F with the rack positioned in the lower third of the oven.
- Brush the loaf with the egg wash. Bake for 20 minutes. Lower temperature to 350°F and bake until loaf is browned and sounds hollow when tapped, about an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!