1 C shortening
2 C sugar
2 egg yolks
1 C Buttermilk
1 C hot water
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 C Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa
4 C sifted flour
1 C butter
2 C powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla 4 TBSP evaporated milk
4 TBSP flour dash salt
1/2 to 1 tsp orange food coloring as desired
No nutrition information available
1. Cream shortening, eggs, vanilla and sugar until well blended. Add hot water, then buttermilk.
2. In a seperate bowl combine dry ingredients until well blended. Slowly blend dry ingredients into shortening mixture. Blend well.
3. Drop onto ungreased cookie sheet by teaspoonfuls. Bake 6-8 mins at 350.
4. Cream butter, sugar, food coloring and vanilla. Slowly add evaporated milk. Blend well. Add flour and salt. Continue to blend until well combined and fluffy.
5. Spread filling on cooled cookie and top with another cookie.