- 8 large eggs
- 1½ cups reduced-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 to 2 pinches table salt
Calories 189 (32% from fat) • carb. 24g • pro. 7g • fat 7g • sat. fat 2g • chol. 171mg • sod. 203mg • calc. 102mg • fiber 1g
- 8 to 10 slices challah bread, ¾-inch thick (Depending on the size of the loaf, you will find between 8 and 10 slices will soak up all of the batter. Should be about ¾ of a 1-pound loaf.) confectioners’ sugar for serving fresh fruit for serving
- Put the eggs, milk, vanilla, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt into a medium bowl. Whisk to fully combine and pour into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Soak half of the bread in the milk mixture, turning so both sides are saturated.
- Once the grill is preheated, put the soaked bread on the hot griddle.* Cook 3 to 5 minutes per side. If all bread does not fit on the griddle plates at one time, soak remaining bread while the first batch of French toast is cooking.
- Remove and reserve the cooked French toast in a warm oven and then repeat with remaining soaked bread if necessary.
- To serve, dust with confectioners’ sugar and top with fresh fruit and maple syrup, if desired.