Gruyère is the classic cheese used in gougères, but you may substitute your favorite.
Makes about 40, 1-inch gougères.
4 ounces Gruyère cheese
½ cup water
4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
½ teaspoon granulated sugar
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons bread flour
2 large eggs, plus up to 2 more if necessary
¼ teaspoon cayenne
¼ teaspoon paprika
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 126 • carb. 22g • pro. 4g • fat 2g • sat. fat 1g • Col. 15mg • sod. 40mg • calc. 30mg • fiber 1g
1. Preheat oven to 500°F. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper. Reserve.
2. Insert the Shredding Disc Assembly, adjusted to fine shred. Secure the Food Processor Lid.
3. Shred 4 ounces of Gruyère on Speed 12
4. Remove and reserve. Wipe out the work bowl.
5. Insert Metal Chopping Blade. Add ½ cup water, ½ stick butter, ½ teaspoon each salt and sugar."
6. Secure the Cooking Lid with Steam Cap removed. The cooking time is set for 6 minutes at 212°F on Speed 1.
7. Add ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons bread flour to the work bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid.
8. The processor is set to mix for 2 minutes on Speed 4.
9. Remove the Cooking Lid and let the mixture cool for about 10 minutes.
10. Secure Cooking Lid with Funnel in place.
11. The processor is set to mix on Speed 6. While the unit is running, add the 2 eggs, one at a time, until each is fully incorporated before adding the next.
12. Dough is ready when it is a pale yellow color and drops from a spatula in a slow, steady stream.
13. Add ½ of the reserved Gruyère with ¼ teaspoon each cayenne and paprika to the work bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid.
14. The processor is set to mix ingredients together for 20 seconds on Speed 3.
15. Transfer the batter to a large pastry bag fitted with a small/medium-sized round tip.
16. Pipe the gougère dough into 1-inch rounds, ½ inch apart on the prepared baking trays. Top each with a pinch of the remaining Gruyère.
17. Place in the oven, and immediately turn the heat down to 300°F. Bake until gougères are nicely browned, completely hollow and not wet inside, about 45 minutes.
18. Serve immediately.