Yet another timeless bistro classic.
4 ounces Gruyère cheese
2 pounds yellow onions
¼ cup unsalted butter
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
2 tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
4 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
¼ cup dry sherry or brandy
1 small baguette, cut into ½-inch slices, toasted
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup): Calories 401 (41% from fat) • carb. 45g • pro. 11g • fat 17g • sat. fat 10g • Col. 49mg • sod. 1117mg • calc. 300mg • fiber 1g
1. Insert the Shredding Disc Assembly adjusted to coarse shred. Secure the Food Processor Lid. Shred 4 ounces Gruyère on Speed 12.
2. Remove and reserve. Wipe out Work Bowl. Insert Slicing Disc Assembly adjusted to 3mm. Secure the Food Processor Lid.
3. Slice 2 pounds of onions, peeled and halved, on Speed 12
4. Remove onions to insert Stirring Paddle. Add ¼ cup butter, 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper with the sliced onions.
5. Secure Cooking Lid with Steam Cap in place. The cooking time is set for 15 minutes at 210°F on Speed 2.
6. Remove Steam Cap. The cooking time is set for 1 hour at 210°F on Speed 2.
7. Add 2 tablespoons flour. An additional 5 minutes of cooking time is set.
8. Add ¼ cup brandy. An additional 5 minutes of cooking time is set.
9. Add 2 cups beef broth. An additional 40 minutes of cooking time is set.
10. Taste and adjust seasoning, according to preference.