Remember to soak the chickpeas the night before.
Makes 12 falafel
1 small shallot, cut in half
1 garlic clove
½ cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¾ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
⅛ teaspoon chili powder
⅓ cup packed fresh Italian parsley – stems and leaves
1 tablespoon plus ½ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour, divided
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon water
Olive oil for spraying
Pita for serving
Chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, and lettuce for serving
Nutritional information per falafel:
Calories 52 • carb. 10g • pro. 2g • fat 1g • sat. fat 0g • Col. 0mg • sod. 163mg • calc. 13mg • fiber 2g
Vegetarian • Gluten Free
1. Insert the Metal Chopping Blade. Add shallot, cut in half, and garlic clove to the work bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid. Chop for 8 seconds on Speed 12.
2. Add the soaked chickpeas, ¾ teaspoon each salt and cumin, ¼ teaspoon ground coriander, ⅛ teaspoon each black pepper and chili powder, ⅓ cup fresh parsley and tablespoon all-purpose flour.
3. Pulse to coarsely grind the chickpeas, about 10 long pulses.
4. Scrape the bowl and remove and reserve ⅓ of the mixture.
5. Dissolve ¼ teaspoon baking soda into a tablespoon of water. With the food processor running on Speed 12, pour baking soda mixture through the Steam Vent to incorporate.
6. Combine mixture with the reserved mixture in the mixing bowl and stir together to combine.
7. Using a tablespoon measure, scoop falafel mixture and shape into 12 balls.
8. Place the balls on a tray or plate lined with wax paper and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
9. Fill a 3-quart saucepan with enough oil to reach ¼-inch depth, and place over medium-high heat until an inserted thermometer registers 375°F.
10. Roll the falafel in the remaining ½ cup of flour, shaking off any excess and carefully lower into the oil.
11. Cook the falafel in batches, no more than 5 at a time, for about 2½ to 3 minutes, turning halfway through until browned and crisp.
12. Remove to a paper towel-lined sheet tray and repeat with remaining falafel.
13. Serve falafel with sliced pita, veggies and a drizzle of tahini.