This juicy chicken dish is tangy and fragrant with the lemon juice and warm spices, and is a sure winner at get-togethers. Many years ago I came up with this super easy to prepare recipe to surprise my husband and have been preparing it since. Marinade can be prepared ahead. May be served as is, or with rice or pita and a side salad or vegetable.
4 medium chicken breasts (boneless, skinless, cut into 1.5” chunks)
Marinade (see below)
1 Tbsp peanut oil or vegetable oil
2-4 jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced with seeds
2 stalks green onions, sliced into 2” pieces
Pinch of salt
Zest of 1 large lime
⅓ C freshly squeezed lime juice (can use pomegranate juice)
⅓ C lite soy sauce
½ teaspoon turmeric powder (will stain, so don’t get it on your clothes)
½-1 teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger root
5 large cloves of garlic, minced thoroughly
Salt to taste
No nutrition information available
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a covered bowl.
2. Toss the chicken pieces in the marinade and keep aside in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
3. Heat oil in a wok on high heat. When smoky, add the green onions and the jalapeno pieces with a pinch of salt. Keep the exhaust fan on. Fry until they are golden, charred in places, and soft. Remove from wok with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
4. In the same wok, add the marinated chicken pieces along with all the liquid, and cook on medium high heat until all the liquid evaporates. You will begin to smell the nutty roasting of the spices and see the delicious caramelizing of the edges of the chicken.
5. Toss the charred jalapeno and green onions back in, stir briefly, and serve hot with rice or pita and a cool salad. May be served as is without any accompaniments!