The quintessential side dish for a holiday feast or backyard barbecue. The deep-dish pizza pan allows for more surface area of the coveted crispy topping!
nonstick cooking spray
1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked and warm
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2 cups heavy cream
4 large eggs
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds shredded Cheddar cheese
18 round buttery crackers
No nutrition information available
- Coat the inside of the baking pan well with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat the pizza oven without the baking stone to 375°
- Toss the cooked, warm macaroni in a large bowl or cooking pot with 4 tablespoons of the butter until completely melted.
- Whisk together the cream, eggs, salt, pepper, and a few dashes of hot sauce. Pour over the macaroni. Stir in the shredded Cheddar to completely coat the macaroni.
- Pour into the prepared pan and cover with aluminum foil coated with nonstick cooking spray. Place in the pizza oven.
- While baking, process the remaining 1 tablespoon of the butter with the crackers until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Bake for about 1 hour, until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Remove the foil and evenly cover the surface of the mac and cheese with the cracker crumb mixture.
- Increase the oven temperature to 550° Place the pan back in the oven. Bake for 5 minutes. Rotate the pan and then bake for an additional 2 minutes until evenly browned.
- Allow to rest for a few minutes before serving.