A modern, mid-western take on a southern favorite...made easy.
Makes 15-20 Sandwiches
5-7 Pound Pork Shoulder
1 Sweet Onion
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 cup Ketchup
3 Tbsp. Mustard
3 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tbsp. Red Tabasco Sauce
¼ cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Vinegar
Rolls of your choice
No nutrition information available
1. Dice onion and bell pepper. Cover pork shoulder with a layer of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. In a large slow cooker, put half of the vegetables on the bottom.
2. Then, throw the pork shoulder on top and cover with remaining vegetables. Cook on low for eight hours. After eight hours, remove roast from cooker and cut into manageable chucks. Leave vegetables in cooker. Let the meat cool while you make the sauce.
3. In a large bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients (note: all sauce ingredient amounts are approximations; season to taste. Add ketchup for neutral taste, Tabasco for spice, and brown sugar for sweet). Add to slow cooker and mix with vegetables.
4. While the sauce heats up, shred the pork shoulder (you can use a fork, but if it is cool enough, hands are much easier). When the meat is shredded, add it to the warm sauce. Stir well and stir occasionally for 1-1½ hours.
5. Serve on rolls of your choice and enjoy!
* Note: Homemade coleslaw is a great pairing for this dish.