A delicious vegetarian main dish, this assortment of winter vegetables is flavored with tomatoes, garlic and onion.
Makes 8 servings
⅔ cup parsley leaves
3 medium garlic cloves, peeled
2 medium onions, peeled and cut in half
4 carrots, peeled, cut to fit feed tube vertically
2 turnips, peeled and quartered
16 ounces mushrooms
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves 24 ounces tomato juice
2 cups chick peas
2 cups frozen peas
323 Calories (19% from fat) • carb. 54g • pro. 15g • fat 7g • sat. fat 1g • chol. 0mg • sod. 901mg • calc. 126mg • fiber 15g
1. In a Cuisinart® food processor fitted with the metal blade, process parsley until finely chopped, about 10 seconds. Reserve.
2. Add garlic and process until finely chopped, about 10 seconds. Leave in work bowl.
3. Insert the medium (3mm) slicing disc. Place onion halves cut side down on the disc and slice using medium pressure. Reserve onions and garlic.
4. Pack carrot pieces upright in the small feed tube and slice using firm pressure. Place turnip quarters upright in the large feed tube and slice, using firm pressure. Pack mushrooms in the large feed tube (with stems horizontal) and slice using light pressure. Leave in work bowl.
5. Place oil in a Cuisinart® Non-Stick 12½ inch skillet and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and sauté until lightly colored but not brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer contents of work bowl to skillet.
6. Add parsley, seasonings, tomato juice and chick peas. Cook over medium-low heat until vegetables are almost tender, about 12 minutes. Add frozen peas and continue cooking until vegetables are tender and sauce is thick, about 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
7. Serve immediately or transfer to an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator. Reheat before serving.