Nutritional information per serving (based on 12 servings):
Calories 224 (73% from fat) • carb. 9g • pro. 6g • fat 18g
Active Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time: 40 minutes (including blind-baking shell)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F with the rack in the middle position.
2. Insert the chopping blade into the work bowl of the food processor. While running on High, drop the garlic and shallot through the feed tube to finely chop. Remove and reserve. Remove the chopping blade (set aside – it will be used again) and insert the slicing disc at setting 3. Roll the kale leaves together and slice. Reserve in bowl.
3. Put the oil into medium skillet (about 10-inch) set over medium/medium-low heat. Once oil is hot, add the garlic and shallot with a pinch of the salt and the pepper. Sauté until softened and fragrant, but has picked up no color. Add the sliced kale, remaining salt and the thyme. Sauté until the kale is bright and wilted. Remove and reserve.
4. Increase the heat to medium-high. Once hot, add the sausage, breaking it up with a heatproof utensil/spatula while cooking. Sauté until fully cooked (no pink present). Remove pan from heat and reserve.
5. Remove the slicing disc and replace with the medium shredding disc. Shred the Gruyère on High. Remove and reserve.
6. Remove the slicing disc and replace with the chopping blade. Process the milk, cream and eggs on Low until combined, about 20 seconds. Reserve custard in bowl.
7. Scatter the sausage over the bottom of the blind-baked pâte brisée shell and then top with the kale mixture. Pour the custard mixture over the sausage and vegetables and then sprinkle the cheese on top. (Depending on your tart/pie pan, all of the custard may or may not fit. Do not overfill.)
8. Carefully place the quiche in the preheated oven. Bake until just set, about 20 minutes.
9. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before slicing and serving.