If you have not tried pesto on a pizza before, you are missing out! In place of the mozzarella, you can try a soft goat cheese for a tangy twist.
Makes one 14-inch pizza (8 servings)
1 recipe pizza dough (page 50)
4 ounces mozzarella (not “fresh”), well-chilled*
1 plum tomato, end cut flat cornmeal for sprinkling
1 teaspoon olive oil, for brushing
1⁄3 cup basil pesto (purchased or use recipe on page 21)
* it is best to put the mozzarella in the freezer for about 10, but no more than 15 minutes prior to shredding.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 198 (47% from fat) • carb. 20g • pro. 7g • fat 10g
- sat. fat 3g • chol. 12mg • sod. 356mg • calc. 98mg • fiber 1g
Active Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Time: 35 to 40 minutes
- Prepare the Pizza Dough and allow to rise. Position the top rack of the oven about 8 inches from the top. If using a baking stone, place it on the rack. Preheat oven to 500°F for 30 minutes or longer.
- Insert the medium shredding disc into the work bowl of the food processor. Shred the mozzarella on High; reserve.
- Remove the shredding disc and insert the slicing disc at setting 4. Insert the tomato into the feed tube, with the flat end down, and slice on High.
- On a lightly floured work surface, gently press the dough down with your fingertips to flatten slightly and then stretch into a 14-inch round. Place on a baker’s peel that has been generously sprinkled with cornmeal, or on a perforated pizza pan, a pizza screen or baking sheet without sides that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. Brush the edges of the pizza dough with the olive oil. Spread the pesto on top of the dough, leaving about a ¼-inch edge. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and then top with the tomato slices. Carefully slide the pizza onto the stone, if using (position the peel over the back edge of the stone, and use a rocking motion to shake and slide the pizza off the peel onto the stone), or place the pan into the hot oven.
- Bake the pizza for 8 to 10 minutes, until the top is bubbly and the edges of the dough are golden brown, puffed and crispy. Remove from the oven and let rest on a rack for 2 to 3 minutes before slicing.