Makes six 4 ounce burgers
2ounces onion, about 1 small onion
2ounces carrot, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
2cups lentils, well-cooked
2tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
2teaspoons soy sauce
3tablespoons wheat germ
½cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
Calories 185 (24% from fat) • carb. 25g • pro.10g • fat 5g • sat fat 1g • chol 37mg • sod. 393mg• calc. 52mg • fiber 6g
1. Place a small skillet over medium heat.
2. Place onion in Cuisinart food processor work bowl fitted with the metal chopping blade. Pulse onion until well chopped.
3. Add onion to skillet with teaspoon of olive oil. Pulse carrot until well chopped and add to the skillet. Saute until vegetables have softened slightly about 8 minutes.
4. Place lentils in a mixing bowl. Mix in sautéed vegetables, egg, Parmesan cheese, soy sauce, and wheat germ.
5. Form into 6 even patties. Place flour in a small plate and place a 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add remaining tablespoon of oil to skillet. Lightly dust the burgers on each side with flour. Saute for 3 minutes on each side.
6. Serve immediately with sliced tomatoes, avocados, onions and lettuce.