A twist on the Southern breakfast staple. Serve alongside biscuits and grits.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 7-ounce smoked ham steak, ¼-inch thick
- ½ cup brewed espresso
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, chilled
No nutrition information available
- Put the oil into a 10-inch skillet and place over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot and shimmers, add the ham steak. Cook until browned, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Remove ham to a plate and set aside.
- Add the coffee to the skillet and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up any bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in the sugar to dissolve. Simmer the coffee until it has reduced by about 1⁄3 to ½. Right before taking the pan off the heat, swirl in the butter until incorporated. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Slice the steak in half and spoon gravy over the top or serve on the side.