Everyone loves pierogies! Now you can enjoy them gluten-free as well! I love these as a fun appetizer for dinner parties! This could also be a really nice rainy day project!
I usually quadruple this recipe and freeze them so I can have an on-hand supply for those nights when you need a fast dinner!
• 3-4 large potatoes, peeled
• 2 tablespoons butter
• ½ cup milk
• salt and pepper to taste
• 2½ cups gluten-free all purpose flour blend
• 4 teaspoons xanthan gum
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 8 egg yolks
• 2 whole eggs
• 5-6 or more tablespoons water
No nutrition information available
1. Peel and cube potatoes and cover with water. Boil until tender.
2. Drain water and mash with butter, milk, salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Sift together dry ingredients into a large bowl. Stir in egg yolks and eggs. Add a tiny bit of water at a time until a dough starts to form It will be smooth and a little sticky
4. Divide dough in half and wrap each portion in plastic wrap. Leave on the counter to rest for about 1 hour.
5. Lighty flour the rolling pin and pastry mat or counter top. Roll out dough so that it is very thin, about ⅛" thick.
6. Cut into desired shape - I used 4" biscuit cutters.
7. Fill each pierogi with 1 - 1½ teaspoons potato mixture. Fold each pierogi in half and press together the edges, using a little water to stick it together if necessary. Place finished pierogis on a parchment lined cookie sheet in a single layer. Freeze for 2-3 hours before transferring to a freezer bag for storage.
8. To cook, place pierogies in boiling, salted water and cook for 7-8 minutes. Serve with sour cream! You can take it one step further and saute some onions in oil and briefly brown the sides of each pierogi to add even more flavor!