A meatless entree that presents gorgeously and tastes delicious.
1 ½ lb yellow squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 bunch scallions, chopped, keeping greens separate
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¼ lb okra, trimmed and sliced
1 lb tomatoes, yellow if possible, seeded and chopped
½ cup corn kernels
1 ½ cups coarsely grated Havarti or Muenster cheese (4 ½ oz)
1 cup chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried
1 tablespoon cornmeal
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
¾ stick unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
¾ cup milk for additional brushing
No nutrition information available
1. MAKE FILLING: Place a heavy baking sheet on middle rack of oven, then preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. Toss squash with 1 teaspoon. Salt, then drain in a colander 30 minutes. Pat squash dry.
3. Cook scallions (except greens) and garlic in oil with 1 teaspoon. salt and 1 teaspoon. pepper in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Add squash and okra and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 7 to 9 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes.
5. Transfer to a large bowl, then toss in corn, cheese, basil, cornmeal, and scallion greens.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. MAKE CRUST AND BAKE
Pulse dry ingredients with butter in a Cuisinart food processor until mixture resembles coarse corn meal with some pea-size butter lumps.
8. Transfer to a bowl and stir in milk until mixture just forms a dough.
9. Gather dough into a ball and chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, minutes.
10. Halve dough and roll out 1 piece on a well-floured surface with a floured rolling pin into a 13-inch round.
11. Transfer to a 9-inch glass pie plate, leaving overhang.
12. FILL Spread eggs evenly in crust and season with ¼ teaspoon salt.
13. Add vegetable filling, mounding slightly in middle.
14. Roll out remaining dough in same manner and place over filling.
15. Trim, leaving a ½-inch overhang. Press edges of crust together.
16. Fold overhang under and crimp edge all around.
17. Brush crust with additional milk, then cut 3 steam vents.
18. Bake until crust is golden an filling is bubbling, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
19. Cool at least 15 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
SERVE HUMMUS, PITA BREAD, VEGGIES CHAMPAGNE, SPARKLING CIDER, SELTZER AND SODA AT 7:00
6:00 SET OUT COCKTAIL NAPKINS; SET UP TRAY FOR HORS D’OEUVRES
Bake Farmland Vegetable Pie until crust is golden an filling is bubbling, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cool at least 15 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
DINNER AT 7:45-8:00, CHECK AT 7:30. IF DONE TAKE FROM OVEN. COOL AT 7:30-7:40, COOK AT 6:40, PREHEAT OVEN AT 6:10.
Dessert: Key Lime Pie, fruit salad, coffee, tea, cappuccino, espresso serve around 8:30