3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1½ cups dry quinoa (or 3 cups cooked quinoa)
½ cup dry white wine
5 cups vegan broth
1 cup dried apricots, sliced
1½ cups baby bella or crimini mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Heat 3 tablespoon oil and onions in a large pot, cooking about 20 minutes to caramelize.
2. Add quinoa and stir to coat. Add wine and wait for quinoa to absorb it (about 1-2 minutes).
3. ***If using dry quinoa: Add one cup of broth at a time until absorbed, then add 1 teaspoon salt + an additional ½ cup of water. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. Proceed to Step #4.
***If using pre-cooked quinoa, use half the amount of broth, skip the water and leave heat at a low simmer. Skip to step #5.
4. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cook about ten minutes until water is absorbed.
5. Add apricots and nutmeg, and stir to combine. Let sit over low heat, adding ¼ cup of water every few minutes while you stir to prevent the mixture from sticking and encourage the grains to take up the liquid.
6. While this cooks together, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan and sautee mushrooms until cooked through and they've reabsorbed their water (about 15 minutes).
7. Transfer mushrooms to quinoa pot. Remove from heat.
8. Stir to combine and serve.