• 2 cups diced roasted chicken
• 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
• 1/2 cup diced sliced celery
• 1/2 cup diced onion
• 1/3 cup water
• 10 oz. frozen sweet peas
• 1 cup heated milk
• 1 cup chicken stock
• 1/4 cup salted butter
• 1/4 cup flour
• 1 tspn. salt
• 1/4 tspn. black pepper, freshly ground
• 1/8 tspn. celery salt
No nutrition information available
1. Crust: ¾ cup of sifted flour, ¼ cup of (Crisco) shortening, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2-3 tablespoons ice water, 1/8 teaspoon baking powder, a few dashes of paprika, a few grindings of black pepper, 1/8 teaspoon dried dillweed (optional)
2. Place carrots, celery, onion & red pepper in small saucepan. Add water, cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and steam for 3 minutes. Drain well and set aside. Melt butter in large saucepan. Stir in sifted flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly add milk and broth, whisking until smooth and creamy. Add diced poultry, peas, and reserved steamed veggies to cream sauce. Season with salt, pepper and celery salt. Stir well. Simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Cover and keep warm on minimum setting.
3. Prepare crust as follows. Place flour, baking powder, paprika, black pepper and salt in small bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Add water one tablespoon at a time and make a smooth ball of dough. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes. Roll out dough on floured surface until ¼” thick and cut out fancy shapes. Place chicken mixture into casserole dish(es) and top with pastry shapes. Bake for 30 minutes in preheated 400 F oven or until pastry is golden. Remove from oven and allow to set for 5 minutes before serving.
4. You may wish to make the pastry dough prior to assembling your pot pie so as to have it ready to use once the filling is in the casserole dish.